Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Women and Safety

Its changed a lot since I lived here. There are hardly ANY Westerners around and it was suggested to wear hijabs (headcoverings) everywhere when off camp, and abayas (black cloak) out in Khobar or Dammam. It didn't used to be that strict. I've been told over and over that it is "easier" for an American woman if she's wearing an abaya. Sounds fine to me.

It's also been suggested to not make eye contact with Saudi men when off camp, and not speak unless spoken to, don't make conversation with the taxi driver, etc. It's hard to resist the American instinct that smiling and saying hello is better, but I'm a fast learner, especially when it comes to my safety.

It wouldn't be as much of an issue if we had a male with us, but since we are two women traveling alone, we need to be hypervigillant. Strange that I am the one keeping my mom in check. She's a feisty little thing. :-)

So overall, a bit scarier now than when I lived here. Some people say it's fine, others say proceed with much caution. I'd rather error on the safe side.

1 comment: