Sunday, March 15, 2009

Khobar Shopping

Why does Saudi Arabia make me feel like I need to take a shower every hour!? This morning I hopped the bus into Khobar to the King Khalid St. area and looked around. My mom says it's changed a lot, but I would never know the difference.

First stop... Latif Bakery for some cheese bread! We walked into the main area and it was all men standing in line, so I glanced around for a "Family Section" sign, but did not see any. The man behind the counter quickly pointed out that we were in the wrong place, and apparently we had to go next door and order through a different window because we are women. weird. Too, too weird.

Cheese bread is AMAAAAZING!

There was not much time left before noon prayer time (all the businesses close down at each prayer time for about 30 minutes), so we made haste. Time for gifts and GOLD! I bought a 22k ring and 22k pair of earings. There was a beautiful bangle, but I couldn't justify spending $250 on it, but my mom simply would not let me walk away without it, so she bought it for me. Sweet.

Khobar in that area is still pretty dirty. Trash everywhere, honking cars, stray cats that look near death (soooo hard for me to see that), and seriously uprooted sidewalks. Still, it was an amazing experience and everyone was really, really kind. I am feeling really safe here.

2 comments:

  1. I used to eat from Latif Bakery once a week. I miss that place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, this is Sharif Nassar Celeste!

    ReplyDelete