Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hertiage Dinner

Last night we were put on buses for the the Heritage Hall Dinner. At first I was a bit frustrated by the lack of info given out to us as far as where exactly we are going and when we are due to depart, but I'm quickly learning that is done for our safety. So, often we don't know where an activity is truly being held until the day before.

In last night's case, we were on the bus to this supposed "dinner" for so long, that I thought either this dinner was going to be in Dammam or we were being abducted by our Pakistani bus driver.

We arrived in the most beautiful "fort" looking thing (yes, in Dammam) that was actually a rich, lush, rustic, courtyard, chamber-room, oasis-like thing. We were able to walk around and take photos (soon to come) and later that evening we were taken to a red velvet room to have traditional kabsah (a whole cooked lamb atop a huge bed of rice). For our sake, however, they strayed from tradition by removing the lamb's head before serving and by giving us Americans chairs and silverware. :-)

Whoa! Delicious and extravagant! The upper floors housed a literal dusty museum... we have to go across the roof portion to get to it, and through the blowing wind and sand, we could hear prayer call.... just AWESOME!

1 comment:

  1. Girlie girl I sit here at my computer with macaroni and cheese on the stove reading your dream world trip to SAUDI and it just makes me so happy for our frinedship...clearly, you are as wild and special as I thought you were when I met you...Be safe, trust your instincts and keep writing -- love the stories...keeping yo in my prayers...Love you. Theresa

    ReplyDelete