Friday, March 13, 2009

Supermarket Below our Hotel

Tonight we hopped on our hotel elevator and went 2 floors down and popped out in a HUGE supermarket. It's like an upscale Walmart right under us! Of course, we were dressed in our abayas and head coverings. It was extremely crowded with over 300 people bustling around. I saw a few Asians, and 2 Western men, but other than that, we were the only Westerners in there.

I can't tell you how safe it felt... really. I feel much safer here than I do in NYC - hands down!
No one stared at us or made comments. People were as polite as could be. Very nice and a welcome change to the anxiety I felt when first arriving here. I made sure to walk my shopping cart back to its proper area.... don't want Americans to look any worse.

So, we stocked up on water, Diet Coke, food, and tea and headed back up the elevator to our room. No wonder we need a room key to start the elevator!

Btw, I could not get a picture of it tonight, but the Starbucks (yes, Starbucks) in the store under us has a "Singles Section" and a "Family Section". Amazing photo opp.

No comments:

Post a Comment