Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Farewell Dinner

Last night was our (very sad) Farewell Dinner. Seems like yesterday when we had our Welcome Dinner on Sunset Beach. A lot of people have already flown back to the States by now. We're leaving tomorrow.

Most of the women wore their abayas since it was held at an ENORMOUS banquet hall in Dammam and there were lots of Saudi business men in attendance. In the buffet line, the lamb skull was ontop of the bed of rice (again), and the look on my face must have been horrified enough for the man next to me to tell me I needed to work on my poker-face. We had a good laugh and I was a vegetarian for the night.

I met the man who processed all of visas and some other important people.... felt honored. Ali Baluchi, the man responsible for making this reunion a reality, was there and people were in tears around him... we're all just so grateful that he helped us come home when most of us never thought we could/would. The emotions were tender and with sincere thanks. How does one repay for something like this? I, like most people, are at a total loss.

What a great, great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment